Sunday 18 March 2012

Blog 1: Design Persona





I’m Olivia. I have a passion for design. Ever since Kindergarten I have enjoyed the part of the day where I get to make art and design new things. Taking Design at University seemed like the obvious choice for me.

 "Design is in everything we make but it’s also between those things. It’s a mix of craft, science, story telling, propaganda, and philosophy.’’ This is a quote that has always challenged me and made me ask myself: What part of the mix am I showing in the design I’m creating?

For me design is more than just what we see in front of us. For example when I look at a brick wall I don’t just see a brick wall. I look at the detail, which reveals different shades of brown creating a rugged texture. I see lines forming shapes and grids blocking out your eyes from the unknown things behind it. I see repetition of line, shape and colour. I think about the process and how it was made. I visualize something much more than just a plain brick wall.

I am a billboard. I love bright colours, decoration and pattern. If these three things were to be products I would be the billboard advertising them.  Everything I wear and own is either patterned, bright coloured or is used for decoration. I don’t just advertise these things on myself or through my belongings; I also push to include them in my own designs.

Someday I hope design takes me overseas. Being on a show like Extreme Makeover Home Edition would be a dream come true. I would love to be able to say I helped make a difference in peoples lives and there is no other way I would rather do it than through design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment