Tuesday 1 May 2012

One word film storyboards



For the One word project I selected the three words: lost, awkward and messy to develop on further and create storyboards for them. I chose these three words above the others from the nine I brainstormed, as I found them more interesting. I also thought they had the potential to have quite exciting movements on the screen as well as interesting compositions and fonts. I thought these three words would be good examples of words that can be created into a film thats simple yet effective with no need of having to put in big detail and complex moves


In this storyboard I worked with the idea of the letter 'S' disappearing off the screen without the other letters realizing. The other remaining letters then went looking for the 'S'. I explored the idea of the letters going in different positions that one might do we searching for something or someone they have lost. The movie would finish with the 'S' coming back onto the screen and one of the other letters finding it.



For the word awkward I explored the idea of the word doing awkward things on the screen as well as a letter coming on the screen at a seperate time and the other letters stopping what they were doing, making the situation awkward for the letter that just came on the screen. I chose the font that I did because I thought it looked quite awkward as not all the letters had black fills. I think the font I chose to use adds personality to the concept as well. 



For the final I chose to do the word messy. I chose to do messy over the rest because I liked the idea I had for it as it was simple and focused on layering, composition and space rather than making every letter into something and relying on sound to explain the story. The main idea behind this movie was showing the screen getting messy by gradually having more and more letters come on the screen in a grungy font (fat squiggles) and gaining speed as the movie went on. When someone creates a little mess it doesn't take long to become a big mess. I kept building up the layers until it was eventually covered in letters that all it looked like patch of black. The sound in the background that I used is not meant to be a key feature to the movie. Without the sound I think it is just as effective. The sound is of crumpling a piece of paper. I chose it because I thought it represented the noise that you might get when making a mess. 
Reference: OwlStorm. (2012). Crumpling Paper. Retrieved from www. Freesound.org

No comments:

Post a Comment