Tuesday 17 July 2012

Project One: Precedent Images


After deciding on the words insanity, shock and asymmetrical I have found some images which really fascinate me. I think the images which I have sourced help give a visual explanation of my chosen words, describing either what the word could look like or sound like as well as what the words mean to me. 


Precedent One: Shock
Link to image

This image uses curves in an interesting composition to create something which I think shows shock and the movement that this word creates. I like the sharpness of it and interlocking of the curves. To me these are to key qualities that define the word shock.  

Precedent Two: Swirl
Link to this image can no longer be found.

This image uses repetition of a curve that forms an overall swirl. I like how at the end of each individual swirl the thickness of the line becomes thinner and looks like it is fading out. I have chosen this image because I think it is a great visual of what ones mind might look like when insane. To me insanity is thoughts going around and around in your mind with no control or direction.


Precedent Three: Plasma Ball
Link to this page

This image uses a center point with striking organic lines coming out of it. The layering of lines and the intensity of lines really gives the sense that something big has happened and this is the result. I think that this image really captures the essence of the word shock.

Precedent Four: Abstract 17  By Myabstracts
Link to this image

In the above image lines have been used to create curves that form  a swirling motion. the overlapping of the curves really build up intensity and speed in this image. I have picked this image because the swirling motion to me could suggest confusion which links back to the word insanity which I have chosen.

Precedent Five: Insanity
Link to this image
The above object incorporates lots of organic 3d curves. I like how they all connect and mould into each other. I have chosen this image because it is very asymmetrical as well as holding qualities that could suggest the essence of the word insanity. 


Precedent Six: Asymmetrical
Link to image
I chose this image because it is a perfect example of asymmetry. The contrast of black and white shows just how effective repeated curves can look when combined together. I think curves as simple as these have the potential to make a stunning model.

Precedent Seven: Swirled Symmetry
Link to image

I really love this image. This is another really great example of asymmetry but with a lot more going on. It uses what seems to be a cone shape repeated but in each cone there is repeated curves. The combination of all of the individual cones and shapes creates something quite full on and almost crazy. I think that this whole look of craziness is something which I can take on when making a model to describe the essence of the words shock, insanity and asymmetrical.

Precedent Eight: Asymmetrical Dispersion
Link to image

The final image which I have is asymmetrical also and uses a circle repeated in different varieties for example stretched, skewed, widened etc. It reminds me of some sort of shock/ sound wave. I really like the composition and sense of movement that it has and I think it just covers some part of each of the words I have chosen quite nicely. 

The images that I have chosen I think all have similarities. The use of curve is very dominate in each of the images. This is something which I would like to explore in my 81 iterations as I think the movement created from curves is one of the many things that visually describes and reminds me of what the words insanity, shock and asymmetrical look like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment