Monday 23 July 2012

Project One: Studio One


In our first studio we were sent away to find three materials which we would then use to discover what they were made of and what you could do with them. The aim was to understand your chosen materials and really discover its properties. To do this we were given the rest of the studio to go down to the workshop and crush, burn, melt, drill, hammer, scratch, pull apart etc our materials. I chose to use a candle, cable ties, ball of wire and cotton wool as my materials. With the candle I just hammered it. From the hammering it created these really nice cracks revealing the different layers of wax. I also observed that the more you hammered it the whiter the candle went. In some parts it looked as if I had melted the candle but in fact it was just the result of the pressure that came from hammering it. With the cable ties I experimented with the heat gun and melted them together. It sort of created different thickness of cable tie as it had melted so much it some parts that it had very thin strands attached. The ball of wire was an interesting material to work with. After I had unraveled it I discovered that it was actually a sock. I basically just stretched it, bent it and burnt it which caused it to loose its silver colour and shine. Finally with the cotton wool I wasn't to sure what would happen but i got a whole lot and went them with water which made them go hard. I didn't get the chance to burn them but I did use sand paper which was pretty cool as the sand paper collect strands of wool. It had quite a static look. I also teased the cotton wool to when it was dry. I am no too sure what material I would like to use for my final surfaces but I am very excited to do some more experimenting.










No comments:

Post a Comment